Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bothersome


The majority of my writing inspiration comes from things that bother me. I’m not sure I like it that way, but you don’t really get to pick what inspires you, do you?

Most of the times that I actually have a reason to sit down and write something is because I feel that it will either A. make me feel better as a venting process, or B. Actually get someone to read my message and hopefully help change the thing that bothers me. Some times it’s both. I get satisfaction from the process. Luckily I don’t think I’m necessarily alone on this. How many songs have been sung about failed love? How many books have been written in attempt to alter the course of something wrong? Didn’t our current president run on the inspiration and platform of change? Occasionally I witness something so beautiful, or something so amazing that I feel the need to share it with others, but it’s less frequent then I’d like.

Recently I had a friend come home from his second tour in Iraq. He hasn’t found a job yet. He told me that unless he wants to be a body guard or police man, his networking options are limited. He feels inferior to my friends and I who had gotten jobs when he got shipped out. While he was risking his life for us, we were making money, and he’s the one that feels emasculated, but there are very few people willing to help. This is something that bugs me. So I write about it.


1 comment:

  1. My friend's husband was just deployed...they have four children and one has been diagnosed with a specific form of childhood anxiety common in military children. In 2007, a friend died in Iraq and as I was watching Oprah, she mentioned how she didn't personally know anyone until she did that specific show...and it kind of made me wish I didn't know anyone personally. The more you know, the more you carry the burden.

    ReplyDelete