Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Locked Up

A few months ago, I got addicted to the documentary series, Locked Up, because unlike other purported reality shows, I knew that the filmmakers could not fabricate scenarios. The prisoners documented were 'locked up' for real crimes. They were facing the threat of real violence from rival prisoners and real punishment from guards--some unbelievably maddening, like solitary confinement. One such episode told of a university within the prison, one of the few remaining programs of its kind, where prisoners could get an associates degree, I believe. As the holder of an associates degree from community college, I consider it roughly the equivalent of a minor in a four-year university, but earning one, to the prisoners, was a huge accomplishment. Yet even the prisoners who took up this education were caught up in a major dilemma. Since most were still gang members, they were expected to fight on behalf of their clique when a conflict arose. Doing so, however, would almost guarantee expulsion from the educational program. Not doing so would incur the wrath of fellow gang members. Luckily, no altercations went down, and one particularly troubled inmate was able to graduate.

Viewing the show made me want to participate in an inmate education program. I know our very own MPW funds internships teaching through Homeboy Industries, which is a program that helps rehabilitated prisoners out in the real world. Sadly, because of scheduling issues, I was unable to apply, but now as I search for post-MPW teaching jobs, I would consider teaching inmates, should a position be made available. I could not think of anything more rewarding than helping people who have a genuine desire to turn their lives around.

No comments:

Post a Comment