Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bridalplasty Matters

The Mayans predicted that the end of the world would come in late December of 2012. They may have been off by about two years. This winter, the show "Bridalplasty" premiered on E Network. It consisted of twelve engaged women competing every week in various challenges for a plastic surgery procedure of their choice off of a predetermined wish list. The winner of the show got their dream wedding, and thanks to advances in modern medicine, an entirely new appearance.

I had to watch an episode. It was the morbid curiosity that made me, I swear. The particular week I witnessed had the soon to be brides compete in an obstacle course where finish line was a table full of botox needles. I was appalled. I was aghast. I was thoroughly entertained.

“You’re sick” you might say, and you’re probably right, but if I am sick then so are the million other lost souls who watched the premiere, and then so are the four million others who watched the premiere of "Teen Mom 2" on MTV, as well as the millions who continue to watch "Confessions: Animal Hoarding" on Animal Planet.

I’m not here to debate the morality of these shows because even the most basic business mind can come to the conclusion that profitable things stay in this society regardless of morals. What I am asking is, what do these advances in trash television tell us about where this new media is going? Has this same thing been going on for quite some time, or have we finally reached the breaking point where it wont be long before we watch gladiators fight to the death for our enjoyment?

1 comment:

  1. The beauty of new media is that you can put the Mayans and "Bridalplasty" in the same paragraph.

    ReplyDelete