Saturday, February 19, 2011

Until recently, the word "denatured," called up, for me at least, an egg frying in a greased pan or a picture of a metal pipe rusting from my 9th grade chemistry textbook. Lately when I think about the process of denaturing, I find myself picturing my own synapses as they rewire themselves irrevocably thanks to the inordinate amount of time I spend on the Internet. I've also been considering this process of denaturing on a more universal level. How has the redefinition of privacy sparked by social networking changed our own individual natures as human beings, particularly when it comes to the forging of human relationships? Facebook invites us to break our friendships and ourselves up into "likes," "favorite movies", "education", and "languages spoken" Spend enough time on twitter and it becomes possible to construct an entire image of a stranger and his or her life based on a series of carefully-constructed 140-character "tweets." But how does the crafting of these online personae impact the personalities we lug around with us in real time? How does social media denature our natures? These questions were mostly inspired by the movie We Live in Public (see trailer below) and this article in GQ, which I invite you all to read and respond to.

1 comment:

  1. What I found most interesting about "We Live In Public" was his ex-girlfriend's comments about who he is and the facade of the "public" self.

    ReplyDelete